Between June 2018 and March 2019 the project was implemented at the Newham Sixth Form College (New VIc) for the whole L2 students, involving 35 members of staff (teachers, tutors and learning mentors) and 168 students from different courses (Engineering, Health and Social Care, Business, Applied Science, IT Practitioners and IT Networking and Systems).
The main areas of concerns were lack of students’ engagement, low academic attainment, and the presence of unaddressed learning difficulties.
An online questionnaire was filled by the students to explore:
- Their entry level at College
- How did they feel
- Were on the right course for their career aspirations
- Did they have the ability to be succesful on the course
- Were they satisfied with the support from tutors and teachers
- Confidence about passing the course
- Keeping up with attendance and punctuality
- Happy about the social activities and clubs available
- Family life having an impact on the course
A group of 12 students was then selected to participate to a Focus Group to share their views on Attainments, Motivation, and the organizational skills necessary to be succesfull and enjoy their time at the College.
Leave a Comment